Everybody meets Raymond

/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, August 24, 2006

God, how many planets did You create for us?

"ok, class, name the 53 planets in the solar system"

haha.. no, not yet... the definition is not out yet. The 53-planets definition is just one of the proposals considered by the IAU (International Astronomical Union).

but I can laugh out loud just by imagining elementary school teacher putting this question in a Gr. 7 Science Test.

Am I crazy or what? I'm actually a bit nervous, hmm or I should say excited, waiting for the result tomorrow =P

For me, I like one of the proposed definitions that would give 12 planets to our solar system.

This proposal would include:

1) the eight sure planets
2) an asteroid, Ceres, in the asteroid belt (believe it or not - it was considered a planet in early 19th century before getting demoted !)
3) Pluto, and Pluto's "satellite" Charon (they will form a pair of "double planet" - isn't it cool?)
4) the recently-discovered-larger-than-Pluto 2003UB313.

That would be cool, eh? Let's see what will be the result tmr.

God, how many planets did You create for us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home