Everybody meets Raymond

/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wii

My dad works in ATI (now AMD). He won a lucky draw earlier in November to get a discounted opportunity to buy a Nintendo Wii without lining up (ATI produces some parts in Wii). He asked me if I would like to get one. I thought about it for a while. It sounds pretty interesting. It's probably fun. However, I've considered a few points as followed.

1) I'm not a game player. I bought dreamcast a few years ago, just bcux I told myself I wouldn't buy any video game until I graduated. Turned out I did play it but didn't play a lot.

2) it's also probably going to eat up a lot of my money other than buying the box itself. The box is not very expensive... with a little discount from ATI, I think the cost is about $260 including tax. However, I could imagine the cost of the games would follow. Right, I know the pirate copies of games would come soon too, but then that's a temptation. May be I should just forget about buying one before I may get tempted.

3) If I buy one, and don't play often, it is a waste of money. If I buy one and play a lot, it's a waste of time. Trust me. I know how I can be addicted to something. I wasted a lot of time on an online PC RPG (MUD game) before in a summer. At the end of that summer, I felt sick just by realizing what I had (or had not) done thru the 4 months. If Wii is really very good, I might be addicted, and then I would probably spend lots of time on it. I'd probably spend less time on work, serving, lazy about improving myself, getting distracted from what I should do or what God wants me to do.

So, at the end, I decided not to buy one. Now that Wii comes out, there are many good comments about Wii. My dad sold his machine to his coworker and the machine will arrive soon. Dad and I talked about it today. I did have a moment of 'regret' (?) Not really regret.. but just thought about my decision again for a moment. However, after thinking about it, and writing this entry, my mind is pretty clear and settled.

Yes, my decision was right. I should better spend my time, money and heart on something more meaningful. I may miss out some fun, but hopefully I would have other good things in my life waiting for me, which I probably would have missed if I bought the Wii.

7 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Ronald, at 11:52 PM, November 29, 2006  

  • Okay okay, so I wouldn't tell you how much fun we are having with Wii. . .

    But you are right, it DID get expansive after getting the "cheap" $270 Wii. Good think I wasn't the one who had to paid for it :P

    The key is to find someone who did. . hehehe

    By Blogger Ronald, at 11:54 PM, November 29, 2006  

  • haha.. Thanks Ronald. Introduce to me anyone who's willing to buy games for you.. hahaha.

    By Blogger Ray, at 11:57 PM, November 29, 2006  

  • Good call Ray! So proud of you! I think you should also tell your dad about the points you wrote in this entry. It's a good testimony and might change his view toward Christianity ah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 PM, November 30, 2006  

  • 1st of all, proud of your decision.
    2nd, Henry and I want a Wii too....aiya...I guess too late right? Your dad already sold to his co-worker right?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:43 PM, November 30, 2006  

  • Raymond, the key point Ron is referring to is that he has found someone that has bought the system AND is continuously buying new games. And that someone, by accident, is my brother. :P

    By Blogger Princess Sweety, at 12:07 AM, December 02, 2006  

  • Hurray!! Good reflection~~ Keep it up Ray!! Now you are free from video games addiction ... cuz you *choose* not to buy .. you are free to choose!!! Great!! **thumbs up**

    By Blogger po, at 2:37 PM, December 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home